CALLING ALL TURKEYS & PIES!
What's a Thanksgiving meal without turkey and pumpkin pie? OUR KITCHEN WILL BE OPEN AT NOON ON WEDNESDAY.
- Deliver piping hot turkeys between Wednesday at noon and Thursday 10am. (See recipe below)
- Deliver baked pumpkin pies between 6am-10am on Thanksgiving morning.
It's a blessing to cook a turkey or pie for someone who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to sit down to supper with others. We thank you for your support!
YOU CAN ROAST A TURKEY OR BAKE A PIE
It's simple and easy. Follow the recipe below, or we'll teach you how if you come volunteer with us on Wednesday afternoon!
TURKEY ROASTING INSTRUCTIONS
- Get a 16-to-20 pound turkey. Buy a disposable roasting pan if you don't have one.
If the bird is frozen, be sure to defrost it in time! It takes about three days to thaw in the refrigerator.
- Give yourself about ten hours roasting time. Begin by removing the neck and giblets from the cavity of the turkey. Wash it inside and out with water. Let it drain, wipe dry with paper towel, then salt and pepper the inside cavity. Put the turkey into the roasting pan. Do not cover the bird.
- Do NOT stuff the turkey! For health and safety reasons, we cannot accept stuffed turkeys.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Put the turkey in the oven. Check your turkey at about 10 hrs later. If you are using a meat thermometer, it should read between 190 to 195 degrees F. If you do not have a thermometer, you can stick a skewer or fork in the leg down to the bone. Check to see if the juices which run out are clear (no red juices). If it is not done, turn up the temperature to 350 degrees F and cook until done. If you can roast Wednesday day and bring it Wednesday, it gives us a head start. If not, put it in the oven Wednesday night. Bring early Thursday.
- When done, remove it from the oven and wrap it in foil, and a heavy garbage bag. The plastic garbage
bag will keep the juices from running all over your car. Careful it's HOT!
- We will be carving the turkeys onsite on Wednesday and Thursday morning. The turkey must arrive at the VA HOT! If you have a long drive, put it in a insulated box (ice chest, etc.) to keep it HOT. Keep it safe. Keep it HOT, HOT, HOT!
PIE BAKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Bake or purchase a pumpkin pie the day before.
- If you buy a frozen pie, please bake it for us! We do not have oven space to bake pies.
- Be sure to refrigerate your pie after baking. For safety, it should be cold when you bring it.